Delicious Gujerati style of curry, with lamb kofta aka meatballs. A flavor explosion experience.
Cook’s tip: The bread crumbs make the meatballs tender. Add the cream/ yogurt at the end so that it does not break.
1 lb ground lamb
1 egg white
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground fennel
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon ginger, grated
1 serrano, minced
1 Tablespoon cilantro stems, chopped
½ yellow onion, grated, squeezed to yield ½ cup
½ cup panko bread crumbs, soaked in ¼ cup water or chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Some oil for the baking tray
3 Tablespoons ghee
1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
8 shallots, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 inch ginger, peeled, grated
1 Tablespoon ground coriander
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon tumeric powder
½ teaspoon cayenne
10 cardamon pods
2 cinnamon sticks
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 14-oz can crushed canned tomatoes
1 pinch saffron threads
1 cup heavy cream / greek yogurt
1 cup water
½ cup cilantro, chopped
Preparing the meatballs
1. Mix together the meatball ingredients (lamb, egg white, coriander, fennel, garlic, ginger, Serrano, cilantro stems, onion, bread crumbs, salt and black pepper).
2. Using your hands, form into balls about 1 ½ inch diameter. Place on a lightly oiled baking tray, and bake in a 400°F oven until brown about 12 minutes. Alternatively, brown meatballs in a large saute pan.
Preparing the curry
3. In a heavy bottom, oven proof pot, heat ghee on medium high. Add cumin seeds and bay leaves and fry for about 30 seconds or until the cumin seeds pop.
4. Add chopped shallots, and cook till translucent, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger. Saute under medium heat for about 3 minutes until golden brown and fragrant.
5. Add remaining dry spices (coriander, cumin, tumeric, cayenne, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon and salt). Continue to fry for another 5 minutes until the oil separates.
6. Add the crushed tomatoes and saffron, and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
7. Transfer the meatballs back into the pot, add more broth if necessary to cover the meatballs, and bake covered, in a 400 °F oven (alternatively simmer on low on stove top) for 10 minutes. stirring once or twice gently. Stir in the cream or yogurt.
8. Remove whole spices and mix in chopped cilantro just before serving.
Leave a Reply
- Cumin Lamb Kebabs
- Cucur Udang
- Pulut Panggang
- Ice Kacang
- Ice Vegetables “Sheet Choy”
- Coconut Tartlets
- Pork and Cabbage Steamed Buns
- Roti Jala – Lacy Pancake
- Lamb Curry
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Pulut Tekan with Kaya Curd
- Basil Fried Eggplant
- Pork and Shrimp Dipping Sauce with Crispy Rice Crackers
- Thai Curry Crabs
Career swap: Trading the corporate pinstripes for a chef's toque
- San Jose Mercury News
- Oakland Tribune
- Contra Costa Times
- Centre Daily Times
Ten Ethnic Cooking Classes Around the Bay Area
- KQED Bay Area Bites
Social networking site connects home, professional chefs.
- San Jose Mercury News
Malaysian cooking classes in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Judging panel for CookEatShare's Thanksgiving Recipe Contest.
Teacher with the hot behind ...comment.
- New York Times
- International Herald Tribune