The Nasi Kuning is molded into a cone shape and sits in the middle of a beautiful sea of spicy dishes in the Indonesian Nasi Tumpeng celebratory banquet. Tho’ the yellow mountain comes from a mythical Hindu mountain, the predominantly Muslim Javanese still serves the rice this way.
Nasi Kuning is a good accompaniment to any Indonesian and Malaysian curries. It has the woody fragrant of galangal and tumeric, the sweet floral fragrant from the pandan, the spicy fragrant of the curry leaves (Indian Bay Leaves) and the citrusy fragrant of the lemongrass.
Chef’s tip: You can get pandan from the frozen section of a Vietnamese grocery store labeled as “Duo Thom” or in Thai “Bai Toey”. Ebay has a regular seller that sells fresh curry leaves. Just search under “Murraya koenigi”
4 cups jasmine or long rice, washed thoroughly
2 tablespoons turmeric powder, mixed with 4 tablespoons water
4 cups coconut milk
2 cups chicken stock or water for vegetarian option
2 sprigs of curry leaves
3 pandan leaf, tied in a knot
3 lemon grass, white part, bruised
2 inch galangal, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon kosher salt
Shrimp chips – prepackaged or fry your own
1. Wash and drain the rice.
2. Put rice and remaining ingredients in a heavy saucepan.
3. Bring to the boil over moderate heat. Stir, lower heat to the minimum and cover with a lid (that is wrapped with a tea towel) cook until the rice is done, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, do not remove cover, and let sit for 10 minutes
5. Remove all herbs, galangal.
6. Pressed into a cone shape using an oiled conical chinois and unmould onto a banana leaf in the center of large platter.
7. Place other dishes around the cone and scatter with shrimp chips
One Response to “Nasi Kuning – Yellow Rice”
Leave a Reply
- Cumin Lamb Kebabs
- Cucur Udang
- Pulut Panggang
- Ice Kacang
- Ice Vegetables “Sheet Choy”
- Coconut Tartlets
- Pork and Cabbage Steamed Buns
- Roti Jala – Lacy Pancake
- Lamb Curry
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Pulut Tekan with Kaya Curd
- Basil Fried Eggplant
- Pork and Shrimp Dipping Sauce with Crispy Rice Crackers
- Thai Curry Crabs
Career swap: Trading the corporate pinstripes for a chef's toque
- San Jose Mercury News
- Oakland Tribune
- Contra Costa Times
- Centre Daily Times
Ten Ethnic Cooking Classes Around the Bay Area
- KQED Bay Area Bites
Social networking site connects home, professional chefs.
- San Jose Mercury News
Malaysian cooking classes in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Judging panel for CookEatShare's Thanksgiving Recipe Contest.
Teacher with the hot behind ...comment.
- New York Times
- International Herald Tribune