Mini little scrumptious paninis. And a recipe to make your own garam masala, too.
Chef’s tip: Store the garam masala in a tightly closed jar in a cool place for up to 6 months.
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 cardamon pod, seeds only
1 piece clove
1 small piece star anise
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cayenne
2 teaspoons kosher salt
6 oz salmon fillet, skinned
2 teaspoons canola oil
5 tablespoons greek yogurt, drained
1 small shallot, thinly sliced, and soaked in water
2 oz paneer (substitute with Cotija cheese)
Preparing the Garam Masala
1. Toast the cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, cardamom, clove, star anise and black pepper over medium heat until fragrant, shaking the skillet often, about 2 minutes
2. Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind whole spices. Mix together ground spices with cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, and salt
Preparing the fish
3. Preheat oven 400F
4. Coat the salmon with the spice rub.
5. Lightly coat a large ovenproof skillet with oil, and place over medium heat.
6. When the skillet starts to smoke, place salmon pieces into the pan. Sear salmon until spices are golden and toasted, about 2 minutes each side, flipping once. Immediately transfer the pan to the hot and roast for another 5 minutes.
7. Remove fish and mash with yogurt. Add more salt if needed.
Preparing the Panini
8. Thinly slice paneer /cheese.
9. Thinly slice shallots and soak in water for 10 minutes, drain and pat dry
10. Slice baguette into ¼ inch thick rounds, brush one side with olive oil. Place on a baking tray, oiled side down.
11. Smear on salmon paste, top with a thin slice of shallot, cheese and another slice of bread. Brush the top with olive oil.
12. Heat a Panini grill or a grill pan. Place Panini on grill, press lightly till golden marks are created and cheese is melted.
Makes 12 paninis
Leave a Reply
- Cumin Lamb Kebabs
- Cucur Udang
- Pulut Panggang
- Ice Kacang
- Ice Vegetables “Sheet Choy”
- Coconut Tartlets
- Pork and Cabbage Steamed Buns
- Roti Jala – Lacy Pancake
- Lamb Curry
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Pulut Tekan with Kaya Curd
- Basil Fried Eggplant
- Pork and Shrimp Dipping Sauce with Crispy Rice Crackers
- Thai Curry Crabs
Career swap: Trading the corporate pinstripes for a chef's toque
- San Jose Mercury News
- Oakland Tribune
- Contra Costa Times
- Centre Daily Times
Ten Ethnic Cooking Classes Around the Bay Area
- KQED Bay Area Bites
Social networking site connects home, professional chefs.
- San Jose Mercury News
Malaysian cooking classes in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Judging panel for CookEatShare's Thanksgiving Recipe Contest.
Teacher with the hot behind ...comment.
- New York Times
- International Herald Tribune