The Indonesian Sate Ayam or Chicken Satay is fully seasoned and marinated with spices, that it can be served without a peanut sauce. If you do want to serve a peanut sauce, please look up the Malaysian version of the Chicken Satay.
Chef’s tips: To create a natural basting brush, save the green parts of the lemongrass. Bunch them together at the leave end and tie with a piece of string. Using a sharp knife, split each end of the lemongrass halfway up the stalk into four, making a brush.
8 shallots, peeled, sliced
3 stalks lemon grass, white part, cut finely
2 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed
1 inch galangal, peeled, sliced
4 tablespoons palm sugar
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground fennel
1 tablespoon ground tumeric
½ teaspoon chili/ cayenne
1 tablespoon belachan
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon kicap manis / dark soy sauce
¼ cup coconut milk
2 lbs chicken thighs – boneless, skinless
20 bamboo skewers, soaked
3 tablespoons canola oil
To make the marinate and sate
1. In a food processor, grind marinate ingredients together till a fine paste.
2. Cut chicken into thin strips, 1 X ¼ X 4 inch.
3. Marinate chicken in marinade at least 30 minutes.
4. Skewer chicken with the bamboo skewers. Brush with oil. In a separate bowl, add 1 cup of oil with a couple tablespoons of oil for basting the chicken.
5. On a hot oiled grill/broiler on high, grill chicken skewers about 2 minutes on each side, or more depending on thickness, until nicely browned. Baste frequently with oil and water solution.
6. Cut cucumber at an angle, avoiding the seeds. Rotate cucumber per cut.
7. Cut onions into small wedges. Serve satay with peanut sauce and cut cucumbers & onions.
Leave a Reply
- Cumin Lamb Kebabs
- Cucur Udang
- Pulut Panggang
- Ice Kacang
- Ice Vegetables “Sheet Choy”
- Coconut Tartlets
- Pork and Cabbage Steamed Buns
- Roti Jala – Lacy Pancake
- Lamb Curry
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Pulut Tekan with Kaya Curd
- Basil Fried Eggplant
- Pork and Shrimp Dipping Sauce with Crispy Rice Crackers
- Thai Curry Crabs
Career swap: Trading the corporate pinstripes for a chef's toque
- San Jose Mercury News
- Oakland Tribune
- Contra Costa Times
- Centre Daily Times
Ten Ethnic Cooking Classes Around the Bay Area
- KQED Bay Area Bites
Social networking site connects home, professional chefs.
- San Jose Mercury News
Malaysian cooking classes in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Judging panel for CookEatShare's Thanksgiving Recipe Contest.
Teacher with the hot behind ...comment.
- New York Times
- International Herald Tribune