Succulent morsels of sweet, savoury and lots of umami beef that literally melt in your mouth. Bo Luc Lac – Shaking Beef – gets its name from the noise you make when you sear the beef in a wok. This is an absolutely delicious dish that is so simple to prepare. Except for the long marinating period, you can easily outdo Rachel Ray’s 30 minutes.
Chef’s tip: If you don’t want to wait overnight to get the beef marinated and truly keep this dish under 30 minutes, use an instant marinator. The instant marinator works by removing all the air from the beef when you create a vacuum with the pump. When you release the valve, the marinate then oozes into these empty cavities in the beef, bathing the beef with the seasonings of the marinade.
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 stalks lemon grass, finely 2 inches of the white portion
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 lb beef tenderloin, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch of watercress
Preparing the Meat:
1. Whisk together marinade ingredients
2. Cut meat into 1 1/2 inch cube. Marinate meat for at least a half hour, preferably overnight.
Preparing the salad:
3. Slice onions thinly and place in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
4. Toss together remaining dressing ingredient.
5. Just before serving, toss watercress and onions with the dressing
Cooking the beef:
6. Heat a cast iron pan or a wok on high heat. Add oil and quickly sear the beef until it develops a brown crust. About 2 minutes or less if you prefer your beef rare.
7. Place hot beef on tossed watercress salad. Drizzle in any pan juice. Serve immediately.
3 Responses to “Shaking Beef”
Leave a Reply
- Roti Jala – Lacy Pancake
- Lamb Curry
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Pulut Tekan with Kaya Curd
- Basil Fried Eggplant
- Pork and Shrimp Dipping Sauce with Crispy Rice Crackers
- Thai Curry Crabs
- Thai Olive Fried Rice
- Perfect Steamed Rice
- Massaman Beef Curry
- Banh Cuon
- Bun Bo Hue
- Pho Ga
- Shrimp Fresh Summer Rolls
- Century Eggs, Salted Duck Eggs and Pork Jook
Career swap: Trading the corporate pinstripes for a chef's toque
- San Jose Mercury News
- Oakland Tribune
- Contra Costa Times
- Centre Daily Times
Ten Ethnic Cooking Classes Around the Bay Area
- KQED Bay Area Bites
Social networking site connects home, professional chefs.
- San Jose Mercury News
Malaysian cooking classes in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Judging panel for CookEatShare's Thanksgiving Recipe Contest.
Teacher with the hot behind ...comment.
- New York Times
- International Herald Tribune