Posted on September 29th, 2008 by Linda. Filed under Basil, Chicken, Chili Peppers, Cilantro, Cuisine, Entree, Fish sauce, Green onions, Kaffir lime leaves, Lemongrass, Lime, Mint, Noodles, Peppers, Rau Ram, Salads, Sides, Thai Chilis, Vietnamese.
Tossing in as many Vietnamese herbs I can find from the only organic Asian vegetables vendor at the farmers markets in San Francisco Bay Area – Phan Organics Farm of Elk Grove (Civic Center Farmers, SF – Wed and Sun, Berkeley- Tue, Alemany – Sat), this super light noodle salad gives lots of exploding flavors. It’s a great introduction to the world of Vietnamese herbs.
Chef’s tips: To chiffonade herbs, stack several leaves and roll them tightly. With a sharp knife, slice the roll finely. Fluff the sliced herbs to separate them.
1 lb ground lean chicken or pork or turkey
2 stalk lemon grass, white part only, very finely sliced
2 Tablespoons fish sauce
Juice from 1 lime
1 Tablespoon rice flour, roasted
6 oz dried rice vermicelli
5 Thai chilies, deseeded and chopped finely
1 cup cilantro, chiffonade
½ cup green onions, sliced thinly
½ cup rau ram, chiffonade
½ cup shiso perilla leaves, chiffonade
½ cup mint leaves, chiffonade
5 kaffir lime leaves, chiffonade
Lime zest from 2 limes
Juice from 1 limes
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup fish sauce
½ teaspoon brown sugar
Cilantro or mint sprigs for garnish
Preparing the meat:
1. Heat a non stick pan under high heat, add the ground meat, chopped lemongrass, 2 Tablespoons each of fish sauce and lime juice. Cook 10 minutes until the meat is cooked through, while stirring constantly. Transfer the meat to a large bowl. Drain off excess liquids. Cool.
2. Dry-fry the rice flour (without any oil) under medium heat till golden brown. Add to the meat mixture.
Preparing the rice noodles:
3. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add rice noodles. Bring back to a boil, cover, remove from heat and let noodles sit for 15 minutes in hot water. Drain.
Preparing the herb and dressing:
4. Slice and chiffonade the herbs. Toss all herb ingredients together. Set aside.
5. Mix dressing ingredients together.
6. Toss the meat, noodles, herb and dressing together to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to come together.
7. Garnish with mint sprigs and cilantro.
One Response to “Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad”
Leave a Reply
- Cumin Lamb Kebabs
- Cucur Udang
- Pulut Panggang
- Ice Kacang
- Ice Vegetables “Sheet Choy”
- Coconut Tartlets
- Pork and Cabbage Steamed Buns
- Roti Jala – Lacy Pancake
- Lamb Curry
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Pulut Tekan with Kaya Curd
- Basil Fried Eggplant
- Pork and Shrimp Dipping Sauce with Crispy Rice Crackers
- Thai Curry Crabs
Career swap: Trading the corporate pinstripes for a chef's toque
- San Jose Mercury News
- Oakland Tribune
- Contra Costa Times
- Centre Daily Times
Ten Ethnic Cooking Classes Around the Bay Area
- KQED Bay Area Bites
Social networking site connects home, professional chefs.
- San Jose Mercury News
Malaysian cooking classes in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Judging panel for CookEatShare's Thanksgiving Recipe Contest.
Teacher with the hot behind ...comment.
- New York Times
- International Herald Tribune